Blog Writer (Internship)
Words in Gear is happy to announce that it is accepting applications from eager writers and media enthusiasts who would be interested in interning for the blog. This position will be a great opportunity to develop a portfolio, mix with prominent people in the publishing and media industry, and earn college credit toward your degree.
Our interns will also have the unique opportunity of writing and submitting work remotely, earning credit from home or favorite coffee shop. If an intern is given any field assignments, any expenses will be included in a stipend.
- Interns are required to submit three articles per week, amassing at least 1,000 words. Articles can be no shorter than 250 words, and should attempt to stay under 500 words. Submission deadlines are Monday and Wednesday nights, and interns are required to submit at least one of their weekly articles on each designated day.
- i.e. 2 articles ≈ 250 words, 1 article ≈ 500 words. 1 submitted on Monday night, 2 submitted on Thursday night.
- Interns will be provided with many topics but are also required to do research across publisher websites, news-sites, and related blogs to generate their own leads. Weekly proposals need to be submitted the week prior to whenever an intern plans to write them.
- Interns will also need to interview relevant and willing interviewees for Feature and Review pieces. They need to be able to extract accurate and important details and record the proper information for quotation and/or citation purposes.
- Applicants must have at least 48 credits toward their degree in English, Creative Writing, Journalism or related major.
- Experience blogging or working with a publication is preferred.
- Applicants must be enrolled in school and be able to receive college credit for an internship.
- Applicants must have a passion and drive to learn about subjects related to publishing, transmedia, content strategy, digital arts, and media devices/technology.
- Applicants must have access to a computer and the internet.
All applicants can send their applications to email@example.com (subject: internship application). Please provide a current resume, copy of transcript, and all of the necessary contact information. Relevant writing samples may be attached to the application and will significantly increase your chances of getting an interview. Interviews can be conducted over the phone.